I went to the Necco website and learned a few interesting things about the company
- Necco stands for New England Confectionery Company
- It started in 1847 and is the US's oldest multi-line candy company
- They also make those fun Conversation Hearts for Valentine's Day
- Necco Wafers went with Admiral Byrd when he went to the south pole
- The US gov't requisitioned most of the Wafers in WWII because they shipped easily to the troops
- Necco Wafers are fat free, don't contain High fructose Corn Syrup and use all natural flavors and colors)
- In addition to the 7 traditional flavors, they now have a chocolate roll with 4 flavors
I've always been a fan because it's a sweet treat and it takes awhile to eat. That means I'm going to make my sugar fix last longer.
The reaction among the kids was mixed, which isn't surprising.
On the chocolate variety, my daughter who hates licorice didn't care for the candy at all. There is something seriously suspect about the opinion of someone who doesn't like licorice. The 12 year old who has texture issues really loved the candies. He came back for more and screamed "I love them!"
The kids really preferred the classic variety, especially after I explained they needed to suck on the candies for awhile and not chomp on them right away. Long lasting sweetness is much better on their teeth!
I hope everyone enjoys their Halloween candy! We are totally candied out here already.